As people look for natural and holistic ways to change their lifestyles, there are some things that just seem destined to be packed full of chemicals in order to be effective. Bug repellent is one of those products. Most people think that the only way to truly ward off the biting pests is to use chemicals like Deet and picaridin.
Fortunately, there are truly effective natural ingredients to fight mosquitos. These natural insect repellent sprays are even backed by the CDC. Read on to find an essential oil bug spray that actually works, using ingredients recognized by the CDC as effective natural mosquito repellents.
Essential Oil Bug Spray Recipe
- 20 drops citronella essential oil
- 20 drops lemon eucalyptus oil (oil of lemon eucalyptus)
- 20 drops geranium essential oil
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 1/2 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Glass spray bottle
- Start by adding all the essential oils to a glass spray bottle.
- Pour in the witch hazel and apple cider vinegar.
- Shake well before applying liberally to the skin.
- Reapply every four to six hours and make sure to shake the bottle well before each use.
Minty Essential Oil Homemade Bug Spray Recipe
- 20 drops rosemary essential oil
- 20 drops peppermint oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh catnip leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh spearmint
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 1/2 cup carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- Boil water and add in the catnip and spearmint leaves.
- Simmer for five minutes and then let cool to room temperature. Cover the pot to seal in the oils of the herbs.
- Using a strainer, pour the liquid into a glass spray bottle. Add in the essential oils, witch hazel, and carrier oil.
- Shake well before each use and apply liberally on exposed skin.
Fight Mosquitos Naturally With Essential Oil Bug Sprays
If you do happen to get a mosquito bite essential oils can help to decrease pain, inflammation, and itchiness associated with mosquito bites. Combine a few drops of peppermint essential oil, cedarwood oil, or lavender oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply the oils directly to the bug bite as needed.
For the prevention of mosquito bites, reach for this DIY essential oil bug spray that contains natural ingredients to fend off mosquitos. Homemade essential oil bug repellants are easy to make using ingredients you likely already have in your cabinet like tea tree oil.
These essential oil blends use strong fragrances to fend off mosquitos and are as effective as most chemical mosquito sprays. Just make sure to apply the homemade bug repellents every four to six hours for maximum protection. Some of the essential oils in natural bug repellents may make the skin more sensitive to the sun so make sure to apply sunscreen before heading outdoors.
You can also add a few drops of essential oils to an outside diffuser to help fend off mosquitos and other bug bites. Use citronella oil, neem oil, lemon of eucalyptus essential oil, or lavender oil for the best results. Other natural alternatives include patchouli, melaleuca essential oil, and spearmint. These Deet-free natural bug spray ingredients are safe for aromatherapy and sure to work fending off insect bites.